Dentists have good reasons why they recommend that certain patients straighten their teeth. While a straight smile can certainly be aesthetically pleasing and boost your confidence, properly aligned teeth can also significantly improve your health.
The Importance of Straight Teeth
Orthodontic problems such as overcrowded teeth, crooked teeth, teeth gaps, overbites, and crossbites can cause many patients to develop a host of dental issues. If your dentist notices that your shifting or crooked teeth are causing more cavities, or your biting and chewing abilities are affected due to misalignment, invisible aligner trays like Invisalign or ClearCorrect may be recommended to help correct these oral health problems.
Health Benefits of Straight Teeth
- Fewer cavities. Straight teeth can reduce your risk for cavities since they are easier to clean. When your teeth are crooked or crowded, the position of your teeth can make it more difficult to brush and floss properly. This can lead to tooth decay from plaque buildup in those hard-to-reach places.
- Reduces risk of gum disease. If your teeth are spaced further apart, or your teeth are crooked, your gums can become inflamed by bacteria much more easily. When left untreated, gingivitis can develop into periodontitis, a non-reversible dental condition that results in receding gums and tooth loss. Getting your teeth straightened can help you combat the first signs of gum disease and ensure healthier gums and teeth.
- Less wear and tear on tooth enamel. When your teeth are misaligned, it can cause you to chew your food improperly. While this may not seem like a huge issue on the surface, the misalignment can actually cause unnecessary wear on your tooth enamel. But if you have straight teeth, your bite will come together evenly, making chewing much easier.
- Alleviates headaches and TMJ pain. If you suffer from TMJ issues, it may be due to crooked or misaligned teeth. A crooked smile can cause you to grind your teeth and put excess stress on your jaw bone and gums, leading to severe headaches and even neck pain. Straight teeth can correct your bite to help treat chronic TMJ pain and migraines.
- Makes you healthier overall. While straight teeth can offer a slew of oral health benefits, it can also improve the health of your entire body. If your crooked teeth have caused you to develop tooth decay, or gum disease, your risk of health complications can increase. According to the American Dental Association, a straight, properly aligned smile can help reduce your risk for heart disease, stroke, pneumonia, diabetes and other health complications that stem from oral health issues.
Remember: The above information points are to be used as general guidelines and you SHOULD NOT use this information to determine anything yourself. If you think you may be a good candidate for a teeth straightening option like Invisalign or ClearCorrect, contact our Clintonville, Ohio dentists for a consultation.
Teeth Straightening Options in Columbus Ohio
A straight smile is a healthier smile. Many of our patients can benefit from Invisalign and ClearCorrect clear teeth aligner trays. Our experienced dentists at Capstone Dental in Columbus understand that a straight smile is important for your health and your appearance.
Is it time to straighten your teeth? Contact us to schedule an appointment to see how we can help you achieve a smile you love.
Dental insurance doesn’t cover clear teeth aligner trays? No problem! Talk to us about our affordable dental payment plans.